Originally constructed in 1806, and one of Rhode Island’s original state houses, the Town of East Greenwich asked KITE to fully restore the historic Kent County Courthouse building as well as house new offices for the Town of East Greenwich.
A new addition was constructed which was separated from the original building by a glass connector. Another challenge was to make the building fully accessible on this steeply sloping site from the commercial area of Main Street to Peirce Street, an area of mixed historical and public buildings. A drive at Courthouse Lane passes through the addition to allow parking at an interior courtyard. An accessible route from Peirce Street is provided via a covered walkway.
Preservation Award, Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission, 1996